08:00 - 17:30 (Mon - Sat)

10:00 - 16:00 (Sun)


Creditcards

The History of Tarff Valley Agricultural Co-operative Society

TV History

Tarff Town & Country is the latest enterprise of the well-established Tarff Valley Agricultural Merchants.

From our new superstore on the outskirts of Dumfries, we offer the best of the country and farming essentials traditionally provided by the Tarff Valley branches throughout Dumfries and Galloway. The superstore is a one-stop shop for the horse and small animal lover, alongside innovative ranges that include giftware, clothing and local foods. Our branches continue to supply everything for the farmer.

Tarff Valley Agricultural Co-operative Society was founded in 1903 by a local laird, Mr Walter Montgomerie Neilson. He saw financial advantages in forming a co-operative for his tenant farmers.

Supplies of coal and lime were bought and delivered by rail on the Castle Douglas to Kirkcudbright branch line. The original premises were a red tin shed at Tarff Station road end.

In 1910, some of the products available were:

  • coal
  • linseed
  • binder twine
  • cotton cakes
  • maggot fly dressings

In 1943 the main depot was bought at Ringford and this remains our main headquarters today.

Tarff Valley Ltd is one of the last remaining co-operatives for agriculture in Scotland today. There are premises in Ringford, Castle Douglas, Whauphill, Glenluce, Longtown, Castle Kennedy and now Tarff Town & Country in Dumfries.

Throughout our business, we aim to provide a helpful and valuable service to all our customers.